Many people contact me asking what to wear on a fat bike in the winter. After several years of fat biking in warm to very cold temperatures I have created a system for clothing, hydration, and lights.
In this short 13 minute video I present these systems. All temperatures in this video are in Celsius.
Upper Body Layer System:
- Merino wool long sleeve base layer
- Long sleeve fleece
- Winter cycling jacket
- Wind proof fleece vest
- Light weight puffy or down jacket for -10C or colder
- Full leg fleece bib tights
- Extra wind proof layer
- Insulated wind proof pants for -15C or colder
- Insulated winter cycling boots
- Warm downhill ski socks that cover the calves
- Ski booties that fit on top of the cycling boots for days when it is -10C or colder
- Electric socks
- You can also get toe warmers made by Hot Hands or Hot Shots that are air activated and keep your feet warm for a few hours
- Ski gloves
- Pogies for -10C and colder or longer outings
- Buff for keeping your neck warm
- Balaclava made of fleece
- Winter cycling helmet
- Protective eyewear
FOR SAFETY: Always ride with an extra puffy or down jacket to keep warm in case of emergencies.
Love and Bikes all!